Prepare These Ingredients
For this amazing sweet potato salad, you’ll need:
- 1 cup of water
- Three-quarters of a cup and two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar – divided
- 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar
- 2 and one-quarter teaspoons of salt – divided
- 2 pounds (6 cups) of sweet potatoes – peeled and chopped into half-moons
- 1 medium red onion – sliced
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil – divided
- Half a teaspoon of ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons of hot honey
- 1 tablespoon of whole-grain Dijon mustard
- Half a teaspoon of toasted pecans
- Half a cup of chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 quarter of a teaspoon of black pepper
Make Contrasting Flavors With Pickled Onions
Let the oven preheat to 450 Fahrenheit. In a saucepan, mix together sugar, water, three-quarters of a cup of apple cider vinegar, and one teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low. Leave it to simmer undisturbed for 2-3 minutes until the sugar dissolves. Remove from heat.
Put the onion slices in a heatproof jar and pour the pickling mixture over the onions. Make sure all slices are submerged before sealing the jar with a lid. Leave it at room temperature until it’s ready for use.
Time to Make the Sweet Potato Salad
Season the sweet potato slices with cumin, smoked paprika, a teaspoon of salt, and two tablespoons of olive oil. Arrange the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet in an even layer and bake for 20-25 minutes.
Combine the hot honey, two tablespoons of vinegar, mustard, pepper, two tablespoons of oil, and a quarter teaspoon of salt. Drain the pickled onion to fill half a cup. In a bowl, combine the sweet potatoes, honey mixture, and pickled onions. Sprinkle the sweet potato salad with parsley and pecans to serve.