- 1 meaty medium-sized ham bone, 2 ham hocks, or 2 cups diced ham (whichever is easier to find or you already have at home)
- 1 (16-ounce) package of dried split peas, rinsed
- 2 stalks celery, with leaves, coarsely chopped
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- ½ cup coarsely chopped onion
- 6 cups hot water or broth
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley, or 2 teaspoons of dried parsley flakes
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon seasoned salt (plus more to taste)
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Feel free to vary the veggies based on your preference.
How to Prepare the Soup
Assemble all ingredients and layer them in your slow cooker in the following order:
- Split peas
- Bay leaf
- Pepper and salt
Don’t stir. Cover the cooker and set it on high for about four to five hours or on low for eight to ten hours. The goal is for the peas to get really soft and the ham to fall off the bone.
Grab the ham bone and remove the meat from it. Chop it and set some aside for serving. Put the rest back into the soup. Remove the bay leaf from the soup.
Mash the peas slightly before serving – so it thickens the soup. Make sure to be careful when blending hot ingredients! Once the soup is the desired consistency, sprinkle some of the chopped ham on top and serve!